Sunday 19 December 2010

Review of 2010 - what was missed out: March

Satyagraha

By Phillip Glass


It was in 2007 that I first saw this production of Satyagraha. It’s notable for being directed and designed by Phelim McDermot and Julian Crouch of Improbable Theatre. It’s spectacular to look at and the music is engaging.


The opera deals with Gandhi’s early years in South Africa where he becomes radicalised and embarks on his career as political reformer.


The instrumental interludes are illustrated by magical stage business involving puppets, aerialists, copious amounts of newspaper and sellotape. Looking back at my 2007 notes I find I had reservations about the production. Having seen it again, I can’t really see why: it’s actually great – and I would go and see it again if I could.


Coliseum



Ghost Stories

By Jeremy Dyson and Andy Nyman


A second visit to see Ghost Stories at the Lyric in Hammersmith.

I enjoy the show much more this time round. It’s easier to see how neatly constructed it is and how it undercuts expectations in the way it moves from comedy to tragedy.


The horrors get darker as it moves along. It remains technically impressive; scene changes are slickly managed and add to the tension. There is skilful use of light and sound and optical illusion.


Even though I knew what was coming, there were still several moments providing satisfying frights and frissons


Lyric Hammersmith

No comments: